Tuesday, October 12, 2010

3rd Grade Keith Haring Cartoons Square1 Art Project


How can we communicate through body language?

Keith Haring
Body Language
Action Lines
Contour Lines

Keith Haring was an incredible artist who was born and raised in Kutztown, PA and trained in NYC.  He would draw various cartoons of people, animals, and imaginary creatures engaged in different actions. When asked what each of his drawing were about, he would only reply, " It's your job to decide. i only do the drawing."

3rd graders sketched their own versions of cartoons using only action lines and contour lines (or outlines). Each student highlighted their favorite drawing with sharpie then passed their sketchbooks around class until each student got a change to trace a part of every other student's favorite drawings on his/her own paper.

The end result was a story created by each student using a part of everyone's sketch.











Can you tell the stories?

7 comments:

  1. These turned out wonderful! Did you use the Haring Kids website?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I discovered that after I taught the lesson! But we will use it as a follow up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are GREAT! I would love to do this project with my 3rd's. About what size is the art project (not including the frame)...10 x 10?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did an 8" x 8" :o) Let me know how they turn out! I'd love to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. R...my 3rd graders are really loving this project. We are almost finished. I am thinking of using marker (same color families) instead of watercolors. I am afraid their watercolor skill is not quite up to par (they use too much water and not enought color!). So, I am going ahead with marker. I just hope it doesn't smear. I will let you know when they are finished! Thank you for posting these wonderful examples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2/7/12

    What a great project!

    ReplyDelete